- Item 9763 - Springvale Cotton Mill, early 1890s
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 9763
- 5249px x 2772px - 17.5"w x 9.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
The three and one-half story building with the belfry was built in 1842 as a cotton mill. Known originally as the Sanford Manufacturing Company, it went through several name changes before becoming the Springvale Cotton Mill in 1891.Show Details
It closed and reopened several times with changing business conditions, with its most successful era in the 1870s and 1880s when the two story building was added.
It became the Maine Alpaca Company in 1899 when it was purchased by the Goodalls. The original building was demolished in 1926.
The two-story building with a further addition put on by the Goodalls was taken down in January 1988. The bell that once hung in the belfry is now the center piece of the children's patio at the Springvale Public Library.