- Item 81453 - Swedish Lutheran Church, Monson, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Monson Historical Society
- Item 81453
- 4625px x 3138px - 15.4"w x 10.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Monson Historical Society
The influx of Swedish immigrants in the Monson area, beginning around 1874, to work in the quarries resulted in a large population that desired a local Lutheran Church with services spoken in the Swedish language. The Lutheran Church, pictured here, was built by the Swedish congregation in 1890 and all services were conducted by Swedish ministers in their native tongue.Show Details
In 1946 the building was sold to the Monson American Legion Post and converted into a Legion Hall. In 1970 the hall again changed hands and served as a hostel for American Legion hikers and a private residence. In 1996 it was bought by Areopagus II America and has become a Good Samaritan Mission. The building is located on Wilkins Street and stands today (2013) as a reminder of Monson's Swedish population.