- Item 79967 - Waldo Street fire, Rumford, 1923
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79967
- 4692px x 2963px - 15.6"w x 9.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
Spectators observed the ashes of the 28 destroyed buildings of the Waldo Street fire on August 2, 1923. The fire was first discovered at 5:10 p.m. by the Majestic Theater’s stage carpenter, Eli Roy. With the help of the Lewiston and Auburn fire department, the flames were put out by 11:00 p.m.Show Details
Prior to the fire, Waldo Street in Rumford was a bustling residential and secondary business district for the town.