- Item 79912 - Le Messager Newspaper Staff, 175 Lincoln Street, Lewiston, 1908
- Contributed by Franco-American Collection
- Item 79912
- 2236px x 2847px - 7.5"w x 9.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Franco-American Collection
Staff of Le Messager, outside their first Lincoln St Office, Lewiston, 1908Show Details
Pictured here from, left to right in the front row are: Jean-Baptiste Couture (editor); P.S. Guilbault (foreman); Henri Carpentier; Omer Gauvin; Arthur Brunelle.
Pictured in the second row, from left to right are: F. X. Guay; Albert Bedard; Odule Laplante; Joseph Belanger; N. L. Gendreau; Mr. Runneau.
Pictured in the back row, from left to right are: Corine Gauthier (Dumais);Loretta Vachon; Blanche Verville (Sutton); Camile Lessard (Bissonnette).
Camile Lessard, the last on the right in the back row, would go on to write the book "Canuk", which was printed by Le Messager. Le Messager was the oldest and longest-running French newspaper in New England. It began printing in 1880 and ran through 1966. The later paper moved to a larger location at 223 Lisbon Street in Lewiston, where the outlines of the name "Le Messager" can still be seen on the façade.