- Item 79414 - St Athanasius Church, Rumford, ca. 1912
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79414
- 4845px x 3058px - 16.1"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
This postcard shows the St. Athanasius Church in Rumford in about 1912. The building shown replaced the original St. Athanasius Church, which was was built in 1895 and was the first Roman Catholic church in Rumford. The original church closed in 1928 when the new, combined, St. Athanasius Church/School was built at 220 Franklin Street.Show Details
The school opened September 9, 1929, and was located on the second floor of the buildings. It was staffed by Sisters of Mercy. The school closed in 1969 and the church closed in 1970, with the merger of the two parishes of St. Athanasius and St. John.
In 1977 the building was re-opened as a seniors housing complex by Nick Puiia. As of 2012, it was known as the "Concorde Apartments."