- Item 78755 - Abandoned Hebron Slate Quarry, Monson, ca. 1935
- Contributed by Monson Historical Society
- Item 78755
- 4223px x 3225px - 14.1"w x 10.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Monson Historical Society
In the right foreground is the abandoned Hebron Quarry in Monson.Show Details
Russell Mountain is in the background with Lake Hebron in front of it and Pleasant Street separating them from the abandoned quarry. Slate rubbish, or slate that the company considered unusable for sale, was piled in great heaps by quarry workers.
The Hebron Pond Quarry was the second quarry to be opened after the discovery of slate in 1870. The original operator was Aretus Chapin, who a year later sold it to Henry Carter. The quarry was renamed the Carter Quarry.