- Item 6436 - First Parish Congregational Church, Pownal, 1907
- Contributed by Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
- Item 6436
- 4539px x 2904px - 15.1"w x 9.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
The First Parish Congregational Church of Pownal, completed in 1811, sits at the foot of Bradbury Mountain at the crossroads of Hallowell Road (Route 9) and Elmwood Road. The Reverend Perez Chapin was its first pastor.Show Details
This church was built by a crew headed by master carpenter Uriel Whitney, a Revolutionary War veteran who moved to West Pownal Road in North Yarmouth after the war and built a new house. The house still stands. He also taught school in Pownal. He was active in this church and is buried in the cemetery to the right of the church.
Little remains of the original Federal Style architecture planned by Capt.Thomas Chase. Its current Greek Revival Style (architects unknown) dates from remodeling apparently undertaken in 1838 and 1857.
The horse sheds were removed circa 1940, and the Center Cemetery beside the church is the oldest burial site in Pownal.