- Item 5514 - Lewiston Gas Light Company
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 5514
- 3449px x 4225px - 11.5"w x 14.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Portland Company was incorporated in 1846 and is still in operation on Portland, Maine's waterfront. As the need arose, the Portland Company adjusted its production from steam locomotives to steamship engines to paper company equipment to present day atomic energy plants. This factory in Lewiston, Maine was built with the Portland Company's assistance.The purpose of the Lewiston facility was to manufacture, cleanse and pipe coal gas throughout Lewiston for street lighting and cooking. Only the 1908 Meter House remains. Now owned by Northeast Utilities.Show Details