- Item 31422 - Scarborough Historical Society and Museum Building, ca. 1964
- Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
- Item 31422
- 800px x 571px - 2.7"w x 1.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
This building became the home of the Scarborough Historical Society and Museum in 1961. The site was originally built in 1911 as a generator house which provided power for the trolleys of the Portland Railroad Company. It was one of three buildings on this site to service trolleys. When the fire department and police department used the building it was controlled by the Alger Association.Show Details
In 1961 a concerned group of residents of the town bought it so important documents and artifacts of the town could stay in Scarborough and not be lost forever, thus started the Scarborough Historical Society. Renovations have been planned to maintain the historical character of the building. On March 22, 1991 the Museum was placed on The National Register of Historic Places.