- Item 29429 - Johnson Shoe Factory, Hallowell, 1900
- Contributed by Hubbard Free Library
- Item 29429
- 4264px x 3485px - 14.2"w x 11.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Hubbard Free Library
The Johnson Bros. Shoe Manufacturing Company was founded in 1887 by twin brothers William C. Johnson and Richardson M. Johnson. The original building, which faced south on Central Street, was constructed of wood with a brick foundation. The building was expanded by two wings in 1894, extending it to the railroad tracks on the west and to Second Street on the east. The factory, which produced ladies' shoes of various styles, was very successful and was a major employer in Hallowell. The Johnson business was closed in April of 1927, and the building was occupied by the Kennebec Shoe Company from 1934 to 1953. The abandoned building was torn down in May 1955.Show Details