- Item 29372 - Pavilion Congregational Church, Biddeford, ca. 1875
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 29372
- 5400px x 2824px - 18.0"w x 9.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
The Pavilion Congregational Church, Main Street, Biddeford ca. 1875. The church was an offshoot of the Second Congregational Church, after parishoners became split over the slavery issue. The anti-slavery parishoners broke off in 1863 and formed the Pavilion Church; the rest of the congregation stayed at what became known as the "White Church". The Pavilion Society operated for over 30 years, until the group sold the building to philanthropist Robert McArthur as a new permanent home for Biddeford's public library, which opened in the space in 1902.Show Details