- Item 26635 - At Levensaler Store, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26635
- 4055px x 3300px - 13.5"w x 11.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
As early as 1828, Samuel Albee was engaged in trade in a building on the southeast corner of Main and Knox Streets. It was later occupied as a dwelling by the Hon. A. Levensaler. Tradition states the building was moved from the Knox Estate by Jonathan P. Bishop, a lawyer and teacher.Show Details
In 1872, the store was moved back onto Knox Street and the three-story brick Levensaler Block was built. The old building was first used as a store or barber shop and then to house the Dornan and Son Monumental works. It was razed to make way for the present fire station on Knox Street.
In 1956 it was taken down to make room for the new Thomaston Fire Station.