- Item 25053 - Flooded downtown Ellsworth, 1923
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 25053
- 4394px x 3397px - 14.6"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The Union River overflowed its banks, flooding downtown Ellsworth in 1923. The flood followed heavy rain that caused the Brimmer Bridge Reservoir Dam to wash away.Show Details
The Dirigo moving picture theater (in the foreground on the right), a stucco structure considered modern for its day, was jerked off its foundation.
The Aiken Building, a grain storage and supply shed in back of the Farmer's Union, was swept away, as were numerous yachts moored at the Ellsworth Foundry.