- Item 25040 - Great Eastern Depot, Portland, ca. 1860
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 25040
- 4353px x 3424px - 14.5"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Great Eastern Depot on Commercial Street was the terminus of the Grand Trunk Railway at Portland. A newspaper article described the depot that "embraces probably the most extensive accommodations for the transactions of business to be found in the United States."Show Details
The passenger station was arranged with a complete suite of offices and was "fitted with every convenience and accommodation that could be devised for such a purpose."
The railroad connected Portland with Montreal and Quebec.