- Item 24995 - St. Saviour's Church, Bar Harbor, 1917
- Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
- Item 24995
- 1655px x 1071px - 5.5"w x 3.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Jesup Memorial Library
The Episcopal Church was named St. Saviour's after the French Jesuit Mission that was established in Bar Harbor in 1613. The church construction began in 1871 after land was purchased, then finished in 1878. It could seat only 325 people and soon needed to expand to accommodate its growing congregation. A hall was built in 1888 by Mrs. William Vanderbuilt for the Sunday School program. The present chancel and sanctuary were added in 1900. The The National Register of Historical Places recognizes the Church (1899) and the Rectory (1899) as historic places. There have since been many renovation and restoration projects: $90,000 rectory renovation (1985), 10 bell carillon refurbishing, all buildings were re-roofed, stained glass restored (1995), and the more recent refurbishment project of much of the interior and exterior.Show Details