- Item 23987 - Congregational Church, Bar Harbor, ca. 1940
- Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
- Item 23987
- 1607px x 1087px - 5.4"w x 3.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Jesup Memorial Library
On May 20, 1883 the Bar Harbor Congregational Church was established. Before the church was built the congregation meetings were held in the Union Meeting House, also called "White Church." Around 1820 a schoolhouse was built and used for meetings before the Union Meeting House. In 1853 another schoolhouse was built and the old one was removed and the Union Meeting House was built in its place. The Congregational Church took over the Meeting House and built a granite church in 1888, but it burned in 1942 and was replaced on November 7, 1951. The current church was meant to resemble the "White Church."Show Details