- Item 22585 - Pavilion Congregational Church, Biddeford, 1870
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 22585
- 4623px x 5711px - 15.4"w x 19.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
The Pavilion Church (the Third Congregational Church) was organized in 1857 and services were held in the hall over the offices of the Pepperell Mills for several years.Show Details
The church building was erected in 1863, from plans drawn by a Boston architect. The main structure was finished by the close of 1863, but the tower (and steeple) was not built until 1864.
The clock was added early in 1865, and formal dedication was made on February 14, 1865.
The steeple was struck by lightning in the 1880s and the top portion was removed in 1902 when the building was taken over by the McArthur Library.