- Item 19207 - St. Sylvia's Catholic Church, Bar Harbor, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
- Item 19207
- 4750px x 2946px - 15.8"w x 9.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Jesup Memorial Library
De Grasse Fox planned St. Sylvia's Catholic Church and, along with Brooks White of Philadelphia, donated land for the church building.Show Details
Architect W. R. Emerson of Boston donated the building plans for the church on the site of the present day Holy Redeemer Church on Mt. Desert Street in Bar Harbor.
Construction began in 1881 when Rev. John Coffey was pastor in Ellsworth and given charge of the mission in Bar Harbor. Rev. Thomas Butler replaced Fr. Coffey and was given charge in May 1881.
An English priest, the Rev. J.R. Madan, said daily Mass in the chapel of St. Sylvia's and collected furnishings and equipment for the church.
Furnishings included an oil painting of St. Sylvia, imported from Italy and presented by Mr. Mathews of Boston. The Misses Iasigi of Boston donated the Stations of the Cross, also made in Italy. Dr. Hasket Derby donated the candlesticks and the crucifix carved by Joseph Mayr of Oberammergau.
On August 13, 1882, St. Sylvia's was dedicated by Bishop Healy. The cost was $2,500.
In October 1884, a 516-pound bell made by McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore arrived for St. Sylvia's. On one side, it bore the inscription "Sancta Sylvia Ora Pro Nobis."
The church was expanded in 1887, but was inadequate for the growing population of Bar Harbor.
St. Sylvias was razed in 1904 and the cornerstone of the new Holy Redeemer was laid by Bishop Walsh, August 11, 1907.