- Item 16777 - Harry Carr's Second Jitney, Sanford, ca 1914
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 16777
- 4997px x 2978px - 16.7"w x 9.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
The first bus service in town was apparently one begun by Harry Carr about 1912 or 1913. Buses were called jitneys.Show Details
Carr's first jitney was a truck chassis with a bus body. According to the Bicentennial History of Sanford, "It made a tremendous noise while underway and was quite uncomfortable to ride in."
His second jitney is pictured. According to the information painted on the side a single ride was 5 cents and tickets for six rides could be purchased for 25 cents.
Frequent riders could buy books entitling them to 50 miles for $2 or 100 miles for $3.75.
The firm of Yuill brothers and Stiles succeeded Carr in 1915 or 1916 and had a small fleet of jitneys in operation until 1924.