- Item 13672 - Pythian Block, Main Street, Kennebunk
- Contributed by Kennebunk Free Library
- Item 13672
- 4859px x 3006px - 16.2"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Kennebunk Free Library
The Pythian Block on Main Street in Kennebunk is shown in about 1880. The Knights of Pythias fraternal organization built the block and the building housed their meeting rooms, known as the "Myrtle Lodge," on the top floors.Show Details
It also functioned as a local Grand Army of the Republic Hall. Note the G.A.R. banner that looks like a giant medal on the front of the building.
The bottom floors were occupied by Bowdoin's drug store, the tailor shop of A.W. Bragdon, Dr. Bourne medical offices and a store run by George P. Lowell. A fire burned the top floor of the building causing considerable damage. Repairs were made and the building no longer has a mansard roof.