- Item 11191 - Covered Bridge, Kennebec River, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Norridgewock Historical Society
- Item 11191
- 4224px x 3084px - 14.1"w x 10.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Norridgewock Historical Society
This bridge in Norridgewock was built in the 1870s and stood until it was torn down in 1929.Show Details
The original covered bridge spanned the Kennebec River beside the Quinnebassett Hotel. The railroad trestle was built up-river from the bridge toward Madison and doubled as a walking bridge.
Anyone crossing the bridge faster than three miles per hour was fined. The sign over the arch reads "Three Dollar Fine for Riding or Driving Over This Bridge Faster Than A Walk."