- Item 10910 - New Brunswick and Canada Railroad steam engine.
- Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
- Item 10910
- 4692px x 3058px - 15.6"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
This is a 4-4-0 wood burning New Brunswick and Canada Railroad steam engine. The New Brunswick and Canada Railroad ran a line into Houlton in 1870 with the first train arriving at noon on November 9, 1870 (twenty-three years before the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad came to Houlton}. A spur line of the New Brunswick and Canada Railroad line went to the Houlton Dressed Meat Company on the corner of Pleasant and Foxcroft Roads. Shipments of lamb traveled by rail to Saint John, NB and then by Boat to Boston. The main line traveled diagonally across lot 27 of the late Shepard Cary to its terminus at the Houlton Station. Cary had been instrumental in locating the railroad just east of the border in Debec, NB in 1862. This facilitated the later development of the line into Houlton. The New Brunswick and Canada Railroad later became part of the Canadian and Pacific Railroad.Show Details