- Item 10787 - City Buildings, Biddeford, ca. 1860
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 10787
- 3280px x 4393px - 10.9"w x 14.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
This building is the first City Building, which was built in 1860 to house the town officers and their activities. Up to that point, town meetings and events had been held in other buildings or in private homes. The City Building housed offices, as well as a large auditorium named "City Hall" that was used for lectures and entertainment.Show Details
The First City Building was destroyed by fire on December 30, 1894. It was rebuilt less than a year later in the same location and still serves as City Hall .
Written on the bottom of the photo is "material pressed brick and dressed granite."