- Item 105220 - Maine General Hospital, Portland, ca. 1892
- Contributed by Maine Medical Center Archives
- Item 105220
- 4250px x 3421px - 14.2"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Medical Center Archives
This early photograph of Maine General Hospital has one of the only views of the original surgical amphitheater, located on the far right.Show Details
Arsenal Street was a dirt road with posts in front of the hospital. As surgery became safer, the number of operations performed at the hospital increased and the need for a surgical amphitheater grew pressing. Francis Fassett, the architect of the original building, designed plans in 1883 and it opened in 1885 located behind the East Pavilion. It provided seats for more than 200 spectators.