- Item 105214 - Maine General Hospital, Portland, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Maine Medical Center Archives
- Item 105214
- 4250px x 3421px - 14.2"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Medical Center Archives
The Maine General Hospital building dominated Bramhall Hill in the West End of Portland. In 1887, they made the first of many additions and renovations when overcrowding was forcing the hospital to discharge patients early to make room for those awaiting treatment.Show Details
The new West Pavilion opened in 1892 at a cost of $75,000 and doubled the hospital's capacity, although due to a nursing shortage 30% of the bed remained empty.
Electric lights were first installed in 1892 replacing coal oil lamps However, electricity was not freely available throughout the hospital at night until 1925.