- Item 104184 - New Waste Gates at North Twin Dam, Millinocket, ca. 1914
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 104184
- 4315px x 2952px - 14.4"w x 9.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Great Northern Paper Company built the North Twin Dam in the years 1903 to 1904, between Elbow Lake and Quaker Lake. These two lakes were important for the travel between Norcross and Millinocket, and the dam helped the mill harvest water power for operation.Show Details
New waste gates, added in 1913 and 1914, helped to divert exhaust gas away from the turbine wheel to regulate it's speed. By regulating the pressure, the engine was protected.