- Item 102045 - Saco-Lowell Shops addition, Biddeford, 1920
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 102045
- 4827px x 3080px - 16.1"w x 10.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
The Saco-Lowell Shops built a modern concrete addition onto their 1911 building on Gooch Island, Biddeford in 1920-1921. The building was narrower at the Elm Street end, filled the block between Gooch and Smith Streets, and ran parallel to the Boston and Maine railroad tracks.Show Details
When the Saco-Lowell Shops moved to Saco, other businesses moved into their building, including a steel company and the Grafton Lumber Company. The block was consumed by fire in 1963; the 1920 addition was the only building in the complex to survive the conflagration.