- Item 100877 - Old post office, Westport Island, ca. 1908
- Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
- Item 100877
- 4698px x 2994px - 15.7"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Westport Island History Committee
This is an E. Joseph Leighton postcard of the old post office (pictured on the right). The "old post office" had been the store of William McKinney (1844-1904). His store, established about 1870, sold such items as candy, needles, thread, shoe laces, calico, school supplies, tobacco, fish lines and patent medicines.Show Details
McKinney was postmaster and distributed the mail from his store from 1889 probably until 1904 when he died. In 1905, rural free delivery was started with Charles L. Cromwell as the mail carrier.