- Item 74893 - St Peter's School, Lewiston, Class of 1910
- Contributed by Franco-American Collection
- Item 74893
- 2499px x 1794px - 8.3"w x 6.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Franco-American Collection
St Peter's School ('Ecole St Pierre') was the first parish school in Lewiston. It opened in 1878 to service the French-speaking children of immigrants who poured into Lewiston in the 1860s and 70s to work in the mills.Show Details
Note the large Stars-and-Stripes behind the graduating class; although children were taught exclusively in French (from Canadian textbooks) until the 1930s, there was a growing desire among parents to 'Americanize' their children to provide them with better life chances.