- Item 74735 - Interior of Gulf Island hydro station, ca. 1927
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 74735
- 4653px x 3424px - 15.5"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Gulf Island hydro station, upriver from Lewiston-Auburn on the Androscoggin River, had three generating units that provided a total capacity of about 20,000 kilowatts, much of it going to the local manufacturing industry.Show Details
Beginning in 1929, Walter S. Wyman organized funding from CMP’s then-parent company New England Public Service Company to purchase five struggling Maine mills, three in Lewiston-Auburn, maintaining their presence in the local economy and their large electrical demand.