- Item 66173 - St. Augustine's Catholic Church, Augusta, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 66173
- 2217px x 3385px - 7.4"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
Postcard of St. Augustine's Catholic church in Augusta.Show Details
The church started in 1887 in the French-Canadian community. The first church building was started in 1888. That building is now St. Augustine's School.
The new St. Augustine's church, built of Hallowell granite in 1917, sits on land that was purchased from the Edwards Manufacturing Company, coupled with an adjacent lot donated to the church by the mill.
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938 as part of their Maine series. These, and other postcards, by the Tichnor Brothers Company are officially known as the Tichnor Gloss Series because the photographs were notoriously retouched on such a level that does not allow the postcards to be classified as photographs or paintings. The caption reads, "St. Augustine's Catholic Church, Augusta, Maine."