- Item 59765 - Kennebunk Village to Cape Porpoise electric railroads, ca. 1927
- Contributed by Seashore Trolley Museum
- Item 59765
- 3350px x 4354px - 11.2"w x 14.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Seashore Trolley Museum
A hand-drawn map of the electric railway trackage from Kennebunk Village to Cape Porpoise and from Kennebunkport to Biddeford. The line from Sanford through Kennebunk Village to Cape Porpoise was built by the Sanford & Cape Porpoise Railway in 1899, primarily to handle coal in carload lots from the wharf at Cape Porpoise to the mills in Sanford. This line also provided transportation to Sanford and Kennebunk residents to the Cape Porpoise Casino.Show Details
The line to Biddeford was opened in 1904 by the Altantic Shore Line Railway. This company was later taken over by the York Utilities Company. Service was abandoned to Cape Porpoise in 1925 and to Biddeford in 1927.
This is Plate 5 of the Maine Electric Railway Atlas, drawn by Charles D. Heseltine and edited by O.R. (Osmond Richard) Cummings in 1970.