- Item 27055 - Blacksmith, Islesboro, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Islesboro Historical Society
- Item 27055
- 2576px x 1932px - 8.6"w x 6.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Islesboro Historical Society
This blacksmith shop was located in the mid-section of Islesboro known as Guinea.Show Details
Blacksmiths were common on Islesboro much longer than in the rest of the country. Automobiles were prohibited on the island until 1933. Being an island, Islesboro had to provide many of its own goods and services, since transportation to the mainland was sporatic until the 1880s, when steamboats began making scheduled runs between the island and the mainland.